The run up to your big day can be both an exciting and stressful time. It can be difficult to find the time to unwind and pamper yourself however, taking care of your skin is key to ensure you’re final make up look on your big day is flawless! Beauty products can be costly so why not take care of your skin the best way and use some of our top DIY beauty products.
Homemade lip balm – with tint
2 tbsp beeswax
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp vanilla extract
beet root powder
small containers (to hold lip balm)
1. Put beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler (if you do not own a double boiler, a glass measuring cup in a pan over water works fine). Let this melt as the water boils. Stir mixture frequently.
2. Once the beeswax has melted, add vanilla extract and the beet root powder (this will be the lip colour). Stir mixture frequently.
3. Pour mixture into containers and allow to cool.
DIY pore strips – to remove blackheads
1 tbsp good quality gelatin
1.5 tablesoon dairy (milk, yoghurt or kefir)
1. Mix both ingredients in a glass measuring cup, in a pan over water.
2. Heat on low heat for a few minutes until the gelatin has dissolved.
3. Once the gelatin has dissolved, remove from heat and let cool. Ensure that the mixture is cool enough to not burn your skin but is also not too cool that the gelatin turns into a gel.
4. Apply a thin layer onto your face wherever you want to clean your pores. People most commonly apply to their forehead, chin and nose (these places are more prone to blackheads). Use a clean make up brush to spread the mix.
5. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
6. Peels the strips off
*DO NOT APPLY PRODUCT TO SENSITIVE AREAS (IE AROUND YOUR EYES)*
*DO NOT APPLY ON HAIRLINE OR EYEBROWS AS THIS WILL REMOVE HAIR)*
Brightening lemon toner - for lighter and brighter skin
1 fresh lemon
1/3 cup witch hazel
1/3 cup purified water (bottled or filtered)
1. Juice the lemon to get a ¼ cup, ensuring you remove the seeds from the juice.
2. Measure out the lemon juiced and add the witch hazel (1/3 cup)
3.Then, add the purified water (1/3 cup). While the lemon juice will help lighten those sun spots and brighten your complexion, the witch hazel will cleanse the skin.
4. Apply to skin with a cotton wall pad. Once dried, apply your favourite moisturiser!
*Store the toner in a plastic bottle. You can use the toner twice a day. Store in a cool, dry place or better store it in the fridge. Make a new batch every 7 or 10 days.*
Chocolate lip scrub
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ tsp honey
1. Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Apply a small amount of scrub to lips, rubbing in small gentle circles.
3. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes.
4. Wipe off with a soft wet cloth (or lick it off, it tastes delicious!)
5. Keep scrub stored in fridge.
6. Reuse scrub twice a week.
Whipped lavender face mask
1 egg white
1 tbs sour cream
2-4 drops lavender essential oil
1. Separate the egg whites.
2. Whip egg white to stiff peaks.
3. Gently fold in other ingredients.
4. Spread a thin layer over your clean face.
5. Leave for 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove masks by placing a warm washcloth over your face and letting the mask soften.
7. Finally, you can just wipe it off with the washcloth and rinse your face completely.
Black oil recipe for natural teeth whitening
1 tbsp oil (sesame or coconut oil)
1 capsule activated charcoal
3 drops lemon oil
1. If you’re using activated charcoal in capsules, open one capsule and empty the contents into the oil.
2. Stir ingredients together in a small bowl or cup.
3. Swish the oil in your mouth for about 10-20 minutes.
4. Spit out the oil (in sink or in the bin – it may be best to use the bin as the oil can be thick and black).
5. Thoroughly brush teeth and rinse well with warm water.
6. Repeat 2-3 times per week.
1 tbs raw honey
3 tbs filtered water
a few drops of essential oils (eg carrot seed oil)
1. Mix the honey and filtered water (if the honey is not dissolving, slightly heat the mixture over a low heat).
2. Add a few drops off essential oils.
3. Wet hair, then massage a few tablespoons of the honey shampoo onto your scalp.
4. Rinse well.
Leave in hair conditioner spray
¼ cup distilled water
1 tbsp canned coconut oil
up to 10 drops essential oil
1. Whisk together coconut milk, water and essential oils.
2. Pour mixture into a spray bottle.
3. Shake well before using.
4. Spray onto damp hair and comb through.
Hand repair cream - eucalyptus and lemongrass
3 ounces shea butter
1 tbsp sunflower oil
10 drops of lemongrass essential oil
4 drops eucalyptus essential oil
1. Add the shea butter and oil to a small pot and warm over a low heat until everything has melted.
2. Pour into a non-reactive bowl.
3. Add in the drops of essential oil and stir.
4. Set bowl in the fridge for 25 minutes so mixture becomes solid.
5. Once mixture is solid, whip with hand mixture for 30 seconds.
6. Transfer mixture to a clean jar and apply to soften your hands or other spots where skin is rough.
Peppermint salt scrub
1. In a bowl, mix together the coconut oil and Epsom salts.
2. Add in the almond / grape seed oil. Mix well.
3. Add 3-4 drops of peppermint oil.
¼ cup of Epsom salt
¼ cup organic coconut oil
1 tsp almond oil / grape seed oil
4-6 drops peppermint essential oil